About game records in the early pro system of China

About game records in the early pro system of China  

By: bugcat on Jan. 18, 2018, 9:29 p.m.

Hello, Guo Juan;

First of all, I hope you're well, and thank you for your time. As most of my technical questions about the game probably aren't worth your time, I wondered whether I could ask you another question about the experience of being a professional (if you don't mind). This time, I would be quite interested to know how the Chinese pro system managed game records for study before there were computer databases like today (which arrived in the mid-late 1990s, I think).

I remember reading an article about chess once, where it said that the Soviet Union used to store hundreds and hundreds of game records from Soviet professional players on paper, and these were kept in a guarded building in Moscow. If you wanted to see the games, you had to go to Moscow with your professional identification. Was there a similar system for Go in China, where you could go to Peking or another city and request current game records from a paper database? Or did you get your games to study from books and magazines? Or from game collections of players from the past like Shusaku?

Thanks again and have a good day.

Re: About game records in the early pro system of China  

By: climu on Feb. 19, 2018, 9:20 a.m.

Master Guo Juan kindly answered here.