Joseki Question

Joseki Question  

By: Farodin on May 4, 2017, 11:29 a.m.

Greetings!

I played a game on Tygem here where I played as black. My question is, how do I correctly respond to the hane white played at move 14? I couldn't find it in Josekipedia or in Eidogo joseki database. I wasn't too unhappy with the result I got in the game, but I was wondering why this white hane is a mistake (since no pro seems to play it), and how it can be punished. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, Gints Engelen

Re: Joseki Question  

By: ChucklingBoy on May 4, 2017, 7:11 p.m.

Hi Farodin!

I think you got a really good position out of that corner. White 14 is a self punishing move. If white didn't have the ladder it could have collapsed into a very tough fight fore her. And by playing the hane white let black have his cake and eat it too. What made it fall apart was: A. Would have been solid play to push one more time before playing away. B. Cutting through the small knight from below. If you pushed through from above white does not get out.

I would have played the extension instead of the hane in response to whites attatchment. It gives you the influence you are seeking for the kobayashi, and there is nothing white can do to stop it at that point.

http://eidogo.com/#45mxUYsqH

Last edited by: ChucklingBoy on May 4, 2017, 7:14 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Joseki Question  

By: Farodin on May 4, 2017, 8:23 p.m.

That was a very clear explanation with some very good variations! I feel like I'll be more prepared for a white attachment in general. And as always, I'm happy to see that I could have played better even before move 14, completely taking away any choice white could have had in the matter.

Thank you very much!