Hi there, from Northern California

Hi there, from Northern California  

By: neongoban on April 6, 2018, 9:49 p.m.

Hello!

My name is Jason. I'm in my mid-40s, have a family, and work in tech in the San Francisco Bay Area. I dabbled with go a little bit around the AlphaGo boom, but didn't really have time to delve into it until last month. So I'm a very new beginner.

I'm spending my go time reading books, watching YouTube videos, and participating in Guo Juan's Internet Go School beginner series. I've played bots in 9x9 games on OGS, but haven't played 19x19 yet, nor have I played against human opponents online or in-person.

Without doubt, my study-to-learn ratio is too high -- I don't play enough!

What I'm hoping to find here are is a friendly community with fellow beginners and maybe a few other people from whom I can learn. I would consider it a great success if I can improve to such a level that I would be able help others new to the game, who are starting out, as I am now.

Last edited by: neongoban on April 6, 2018, 9:56 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hi there, from Northern California  

By: AgentNeigh on July 26, 2019, 10:50 a.m.

Oh It's nice to meet you. What go books have you enjoyed the most?

I feel like a cop out to say I enjoyed the fundamentals of Go but it helped me a lot. I have not read my AlphaGo book, Maybe I should pick it up this weekend!

Best of Luck in your go! ~Agent Neigh~